Re: Global proxy autoconfig script?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:52:40 +0200

Why not simply use a script that builds a proxy name based on the
network address, and use DNS to configure what server each network uses.
(simple, and no processing done anywhere, and no redundant configuration
file since the DNS has to be updated anyway when adding/removing a
server...).

That is to always use proxy names like proxy-27.foo.com, regardless if
there actually is a proxy for/in net 27. Then use DNS to configure which
server each net uses. (proxy-27 can be a CNAME for the server that
should be used by this network).

Ofcourse use of fallback to main server as usual, if the desired proxy
is unavailable (down).

---
Henrik Nordström