Re: Domain Name Completion?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:15:34 +0200

Hi

> Before using squid, our customers could type an URL like this
> apple
> to be completed to
> http://www.apple.com
>
> I could configure "append_domain .com" so the input "apple" was completed
> to "apple.com". But this requires that every company configures the
> dns-entry of "companyxyz.com" being a cname to "www.companyxyz.com".
>
> Is there any solution available?
This is actually a netscape problem... the whole idea is a
silly one actually.... people should know to type in 'www.apple.com'.

When you turn on the proxy, netscape disables this feature, and
issues a request to the cache to get 'http://apple/' instead of issuing
a request to get 'http://www.apple.com/' (it's default behavior).

You could use address-rewriting to say (you are going to have
to modify this to look like the example in the docs):

while (<>){
                print;
        } else {
                chop;