Re: Tokyo Root Server Specification

From: Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:14:06 -0700 (PDT)

While I don't want to start a flame war, I personally find the following
comments pretty suspect.

Since about the last half of 1996, I haven't been able to get a BusLogic
controller to function anywhere near as well as the Adaptec's under any
version of FreeBSD.

I used to be an all-buslogic shop, so I have a vested interest in keeping
it all the same.

Justin's work on the AHC driver has turned it into a very high-performance
card.

In fact, looking at sites that spec FreeBSD boxes for newsservers and
other high-performance type work, I see Adaptec being recommended
over BusLogic in every circumstance.

I personally have removed almost all the BusLogic's except on the
lower-end boxes I have.

One other issue to think about is that the Buslogic driver doesn't appear
to be being actively maintained in FreeBSD. Not to say it doesn't work,
but nobody leaps to mind as the "maintainer".

I would use Adaptec exclusively myself. I've also heard good things about
the NCR driver, but don't use it myself.