Re: Much wanted feature.

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:21:15 +1000

Bill Wichers wrote:

> Oh man... One would need a LOT of disk space for that. Even massive 20+ GB
> caches can't manage to cache a big enough chunk of the Internet to exceed
> about 20-30% hits (well, 20-30% hits for their sibling caches). I have no
> idea how much disk you would need to cache a significant chunk of the
> Internet, but I would guess you'd need well over 100 GB.

I'd suspect you missed by an order of magnitude. I'd guess at 1000 to 2000GB,
myself. This is (of course) a Wild-Assed-Guess(tm). YMMV.

> As for mounting a cache_dir remotly, I think others have had only bad luck
> with this. My guess is that it would be very slow, although I havn't ever
> tried it.

Tried it via NFS over 10MB ethernet. Acceptable. No noticeable delays from the
client end..I mean, heck...The client's probably connected at 28.8K if you're
an ISP. That's about 3.6Kb/s (taking compression into account) at peak. You
don't need a whole lot of responsiveness out of a network mounting to keep up
with those. Even a lot of those.

Nevertheless, we seem to get the best performance by 'pipelining' caches.
client -> CacheA -> CacheB -> CacheC -> world, with (for example) cacheB
pulling from siblings. You can gang them up like this telling A to cache below
a minimum size, B to cache larger things, and C to cache the largest stuff.

There are obvious performance considerations involved here, as well as the
trouble of scads of ICP traffic choking up a broadcast network. If those are
not issues, and cache-space and minimisation of bandwidth _are_ very important
for you, then this sort of setup has it's advantages. Objects tend to settle
out graded for size (although it'd be nice to have a "Don't store anything
smaller than X KB" option to allow better tuning).

Personally, I feel that there must be a better way to do things. But then, I'd
be keen on seeing a persistant TCP connections between
siblings/parents/children down which ICP requests can be funneled. I _like_
the whole ICP thing...I just hate seeing it fall apart just because things get
busy and the UCP/ICP packets get lost.--end-of-waffle

Note to evil sorcerers and mad scientists: don't ever, ever summon powerful
demons or rip holes in the fabric of space and time. It's never a good idea.
ICQ UIN: 3225440