No forwarding / URL syntax

From: Gatt, Noel <Noel.Gatt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:25:03 -0600

Hi All

I require some help on seemingly 2 simple matters but which have been
baffling me for the past 2 days. I'm performing some
tests on Squid 1.1.17 and for the purpose of explaining this case, I
will present a very simple model. I configured an internal
proxy, which for any cache misses, is supposed to forward all requests
to an external proxy to fetch the object either from
its own cache or else direct from the source. The cache_host entry on
the internal proxy simple defines a parent as default.

The problem comes when I attempt to access certain sites such as
http://www.cineca.it/cgi-bin/wwwwais-squid. The internal
proxy attempts to go DIRECT instead of forwarding the request to its
parent. No matter how I configured the stoplists
(hierarchy, cache, etc.), it still does it. Of course, the error in the
cache.log is ERR_DNS_FAIL. I tried also to disable the ip cache
but to no avail. From a debug trace, it shows that the error handling
logic is being executed in function passConnect.

Also, is there a way to disable the strong syntax checks on the hostname
part of the URL. I am aware that Squid attempts to
rigidly conform with standard DNS conventions but some DNS
implementations allow using, for instance, underscores in hostnames.
This will result in ERR_INVALID_URL failure. A short cut would be to
modify function urlParse but I'd rather have
a more universal solution.

All suggestions / advice are welcome.

Many Thanks.

Noel Gatt