RE: Transparent proxy probs...

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:19:34 -0500

On Friday, November 21, 1997 11:55 AM, Dancer
[SMTP:dancer@brisnet.org.au] wrote:
> Aren't you supposed to be able to get the original destination by
> calling..umm...sockaddress()?
>
> I looked at the transproxy code for linux, and that's what it does
> (although
> it _can_ use the headers, that's a messier job)

No clue, but in my logs it shows only IPs of the where the users are
going to, and when a user goes somewhere that doesn't exist, the logs
have the IP printed in them instead of the name.

This only happens when using transparent proxies because squid has no way
to know what the original hostname the client was going to unless the
client lists it in it's request and even if it does, squid will not use
it (as I stated below).

Jordan