Squid infinite looping

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 18:20:15 +0300 (MSK)

Hello everybody,

I'm almost sure that the thing I'm going to tell about is well
known, but it's a security issue, so it would be nice to remind
to the community about it.

If one connects to Squid and asks Squid to get itself, e.g
"GET http://localhost:80 HTTP/1.0", Squid goes looping
opening numerous connections to itself. Once I discovered
the problem when I tried to connect to a cachemgr hanging on
a different port, but forgot to specify the port. That time
I just firewalled out packets from the cache's IP address to
Squid's port on the cache.
Today some unnamed hacker tried to get <http://localhost>
and made my Squid loop again. So I added a news access list
"url_regex ^http://localhost" and made the Squid deny such URLs.

Who can devise another way to make Squid loop?

SY, Yar