Re: SQUID I/O

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:42:33 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Hirohisa TANIGUCHI wrote:

> Do you know how Squid manages to flush the output buffer automatically?
> As long as it's on the standard TCP stack, I think it's very hard...
> Is it something todo with "non-blocking IO"? I'm not very familiar
> with network programming...

Neither am I. :) Squid does not flush the buffer. It's the socket code
that does that after a certain (very small) delay. Correct me if I am
wrong, but I think it is done to ensure timely response for applications
like telnet when user types characters and expects to see the effect
"immediately".(?)

> > http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~rousskov/research/cache/squid/profiling/stats/gindex.all.wd/gbag.distr.cortvsz.html
>
> This is a very interesting result. Do you have any published paper on
> your results? If you have let me know. Thank you very much.

Nothing published, just submitted:

http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~rousskov/research/cache/squid/profiling/papers/

I wish it were in a better shape though -- I did not have enough time
before the deadline...

Any comments are welcome, of course...

Alex.