Re: SQUID I/O

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 00:20:48 +0100

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Neither am I. :) Squid does not flush the buffer. It's the socket code
> that does that after a certain (very small) delay. Correct me if I am
> wrong, but I think it is done to ensure timely response for applications
> like telnet when user types characters and expects to see the effect
> "immediately".(?)

Squid disables the delays on systems where it is supported using
TCP_NODELAY (see
<http://www.ibrado.com/sock-faq/html/unix-socket-faq-2.html#ss2.16>)

It can be argued whether this is a good idea or not.. but it is done.
How good/bad it is depends on how Squid is used.. and it is never much
worse that the WWW server sending the data.

---
Henrik Nordström