Squid NOVM on Solaris 2.6

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 19:45:03 +0200 (EETDST)

 Hello,

 Looking for anyone running squid 1.1.NOVM.18 or .17 on Solaris 2.6
 with moderate load (about 20000 req/hour) and moderate size
 (100-200K+ objects) and who is starting squid as root initially.

 Wish to hear that you have no problems with such setup.

 My prob is that I have to run squid as root initially, as we have
 advertised our proxy on port 80. Squid leaves suid as soon as it is
 alright, and continues to run as user 'cache'. Everything is fine.
 But, due to some mysterious reasons, after some time of work, squid
 starts to create files in its cache_dir that are owned by root, and
 whenever it tries to overwrite them, it aborts on permission error.
 It has no way to overcome this by itself, so manual intervention is
 needed, without one it aborts as soon as it encounters such root-owned
 file, about 1-2 minutes after a restart. This continues until it
 shuts down dirty, and then starts slow rebuild...over and over again.

 Although it may sound like that, there is no dumb user error, the
 problem is in either Squid or Solaris 2.6, and as I have run .17 on
 Solaris 2.5.1 with no problems and there were no relevant changes to
 .18 it seems most like OS or Compiler problem.

 Any suggesions welcome.

  Andres Kroonmaa mail: andre@online.ee
  Network Manager
  Tallinn, Sakala 19 Pho: +372 6308 909