Re: Suggestion

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier+lists/squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:51:02 -0500

> A cache often holds around $7,000 worth of 'unimportant data', though, that
> people don't want to re-fetch. Maybe being in America you don't see the
> point that is so blatantly obvious to people in other parts of the world -
> that data is expensive to re-fetch and, especially if you provide a search
> engine for it, but even if you don't - a lot of the data is re-used and
> real savings are made.

I've only lived in the states for the last two years and I'm trying hard to
convince people around here to use my Squid server, so I know what you
mean. But my point was that losing the swapfile is rare (in my experience at
least), so the few times it happens, you might be willing to accept the
temporary loss of connection speed. Of course avoiding it would be good,
but I was just mentionning that there's a tradeoff between "the cost of
implementing the feature" and "the win which can be substantial but
only happens on rare occasions".

        Stefan