Re: passwd file?

From: Amitay B Isaacs <amitay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:30:31 +0530

On Tue, Dec 30, 1997 at 03:47:13PM +0530, S Prabhakar wrote:
> nstalled squid 1.1.19 on linux box with the
> patch for acl_auth..
>
> 1. There seems to be a provision by which u can create
> a password file containing "user:password" and
> this password file name should be given to a group
> for them to access with the password...but
> this doesnt seem to work for me..

  You can use the htpasswd program which is distributed with apache web
server. That does the same purpose of creating the required password file.

> 2. Secondly there is a note saying the password must be
> in a standard crypt() format..can anyone throw some light
> on this? what is this standard crypt() format? how do
> i get this format out of a string?

   Standard crypt format is the way in which passwords are stored in
/etc/passwd on most of the unix systems. (With first 2 chars of the
encrypted password as the salt and the cleartext passwd as the key, crypt
function returns the encrypted password) htpasswd program does this too.

> 3. I also observered that there is a ftpget program. There is
> no clear explanation as to what this program does..

   ftpget is used to retrieve the ftp urls.

Amitay.

--
He, that lives upon hope will die fasting.