Re: solaris 2.5.1 tips & tricks?

From: <carson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:37:36 -0500 (EST)

>>>>> "Dirk" == Dirk Vleugels <Dirk.Vleugels@de.uu.net> writes:

Dirk> Does it make sense to use gnu-malloc on a solaris machine?
Dirk> Any improvements using it?

Yes. Every version of malloc() I've seen under SOlaris bites in one way or
another.

Dirk> Would a local caching DNS server help, or is a large number of
Dirk> dnsserver processes enough (currently 30)?

Always. Avoiding network traffic is a win. Also make sure nscd isn't caching
DNS queries (look at /etc/nscd.conf)

Dirk> Is file system tuning possible and reasonable on a ufs stripe?

Quite possibly. I'm really curious to know if anyone has tried a log-based
filesystem (such as VxFS or the less-studly one that comes with ODS).

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson@cs.columbia.edu carson@tla.org carson@cugc.org
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html