DU 4.0b communicator <-> squid-1.2b10 slower?

From: George Michaelson <ggm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:42:25 +1000 (EST)

After 2-3 days experimenting with 1.2b10 I think I am noticing
a marked speed drop for some websites. 20-30sec delays loading
image rich sites, no clear pattern of where or why.

Is this possibly a combination of platform/version problems with
persistant http:1.1 connection usage?

the squid.conf is essentially untouched apart from on-disk localizations
for cache and logfile locations. Both client and cache are Digital unix
4.0b, squid was compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3. I am the sole user of the cache
which is running on a quiescent Alpha workstation with gobs of disk and
memory

cheers
        -George