Re: commBind and "can't assign requested address" error

From: John P. Pagano <jpagano@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 00:30:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I did comment these out already, suspecting that they were the problem.
In fact, I first ran squid without these tags and I got the same problem.
Re-commenting them out produces a different, but no less frustrating
error. I get a message saying that the "server may be down or
unreachable", and that it won't respond. I have routing set up fine on my
computer, so I doubt it's an unrelated network problem. I don't
understand what I could be doing wrong, because I almost verbatim copied
the squid.conf example given at

http://cache.is.co.za/squid/initial/basic.conf.txt

including the preconfigured lines that my source for 10.1.22 (which I just
upgraded to from version 10.1.15, hoping that would solve my problem).

I also don't understand how those tcp and udp tags in squid.conf could
produce the "out of file descriptors" error, since that sounds
specifically like a memory-related problem.

I believe I'm seeing my worst fears realized. I am running an old FreeBSD
system (2.1.6) on a 486/66 with 8 Mb of RAM. I have been forced into this
miserable situation by lack of budget. I have to make squid work with
what I've got. I'm getting afraid that either there is an incompatibility
between squid and 8 Mb of Ram, or one between squid and the way FreeBSD
2.1.6 handles virtual memory.

I have increased my file descriptor kernel parameters to allow for 1024
file descriptors in general, and per process as well (kern.maxfiles and
ker.maxfilesperproc). I have also killed sendmail, and all other memory
hogging processes, as well as ones that don't hog memory but are
unnecessary.

Adding extra physical memory is one thing, if I can scrounge some up. I
can only pray, though, that I don't have to compile the latest version of
FreeBSD on this dinosaur. It will take a week.

Where else can I look? Thanks.