Re: squid under solaris 2.5.1 consume a lot of file descriptors?

From: SO Kwok Tsun <ktso@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:46:18 +0800 (WST)

According to Bertold Kolics's mail...

> Hi,
> >I have configured squid 1.1.20 on a Ultra Sparc with Solaris 2.5.1
> >recently.
> About a month ago we upgraded our old SparcCenter 2000 machine from
> Solaris 2.5 to Solaris 2.6.
> The number of file descriptors needed for the same traffic is half of
> the number with Solaris 2.5.
>
> Cheers,
> Bertold

Hi,

The number of file descriptors used is approximately equal to the number
of established connection plus the number of close_wait if your server
is not really busy and your server is not NOVM. Would you please tell
me the approximate number of both of them?

netstat -n | grep CLOSE_WAIT | wc -l
netstat -n | grep ESTABLISHED | wc -l

We have CLOSE_WAIT more than ESTABLISHED especially for the proxy server
with slower link. Thanks a lot for your help.

By the way, anoyone know what will happen exactly if squid cannot get
enough file descriptors before hitting the system limit?

So K T, CUHK