srcdomain ACL's, reverse and direct lookups...

From: <Thierry.Agassis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:00:46 +0100

Hi Everybody,

I've looked at the sources of SQUID 1.1.18 and the release notes 1.1 to get
confirmation, but I would appreciate yours, aspecially on V1.1.20.

When I declare an ACL using srcdomain to list allowed internal clients, I
think SQUID does a reverse lookup of a given client's IP address before
checking the srcdomain list.
But does it do a subsequent DIRECT lookup, to make sure that the client is
in the domain it "claims" to be ? If not, it sounds like just changing a
PTR record in a foreign domain is all what a hacker needs to make SQUID to
think he is someone else.

Reading this extract of the mentionned release notes seems to mean that :

"
NOTE: DNS has a number of known security problems. Squid does not make
any effort to guarantee the validity of data returned from gethostbyname()
or gethostbyaddr() calls.
"

So, it seems that using src ACL's rather than srcdomain is more secure,
isn't it ?

Thank's in advance for any correction / confirmation and best regards !

Thierry A.