Re: squid.conf

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:42:36 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Andy Ma wrote:

> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 21:48:59 +0800
> From: Andy Ma <s9555963@study.ouhk.edu.hk>
> To: "\"N.Frasheri\"" <nfra@hpe25.inima.al>,
> "squid-users@nlanr.net" <squid-users@nlanr.net>
> Subject: squid.conf
>
> I have Squid compiled finally on solaris 2,6 -x86. Could someone help
> with my configuration. The case is like is. I have other PC and UNIX box
> connected to the network. And I my Solaris Box is the only PC that is
> setup with the IP address that configured to go through the router and
> connect to the ISP and to the world of internet. Now, I want other
> machine on the network to go through my proxy server and get access to
> the internet. I looked at the squid.conf and it was a pretty long file.
> And there is alot of terms in there I don't . So could you please help
> me to configure? Also would I be able to have any kind of ACL with
> squid so that I could filter those that I don't them to have access?

I would love to help you, but 99% of the squid.conf file is site specific.

If it makes you feel better, I have a squid.conf file that fits on two
screens (less than 50 lines), once all the comments and values that can be
left at the defaults are gone.

As for acls, that is easy.

acl local src 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0
   1^ 2^ 3^

1) is a name for the acl. Make it an easy one.

2) What type of control. In this case, the source, or client.

3) The string that matches that acl, in this case, an IP address range.

Then, you simply do this:

comment out this line:

http_access allow all

and replace it with this line:

http_access allow local

I hope that helps you.

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/