Re: Cisco redirection working

From: Amos Shapira <amos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:25:30 +0200

Lincoln Dale <ltd@interlink.com.au> wrote:
|cisco have the technology already. its called 'WCCP'.
|(see http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios111/ca111/wcc
|p.htm)
|
|what is a shame is that it remains a proprietory, non-documented protocol.
|obviously cisco capitalising on their competitive advantage, but a shame
|non-the-less.

How about the following:

My ISP's setup is that I have two Linux server machines, one of them
is the Squid server and the other does the rest.

How about when the non-squid machine notices that the squid server is
down, it reconfigures the router via snmp to disable to transparent
proxy or direct it to a backup server?

Another option - have an IP address just for transparent proxy, when the
primary goes down the secondary configures an alias to its own ethernet
NIC and announces the change via RIP.

Are these doable?

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st. | glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805 | by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL amos@gezernet.co.il | -- Anonymous