Re: Cisco redirection working

From: Brian <signal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:11:58 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Lincoln Dale <ltd@interlink.com.au> wrote:
> |cisco have the technology already. its called 'WCCP'.
> |(see http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios111/ca111/wcc
> |p.htm)
> |
> |what is a shame is that it remains a proprietory, non-documented protocol.
> |obviously cisco capitalising on their competitive advantage, but a shame
> |non-the-less.
>
> How about the following:
>
> My ISP's setup is that I have two Linux server machines, one of them
> is the Squid server and the other does the rest.
>
> How about when the non-squid machine notices that the squid server is
> down, it reconfigures the router via snmp to disable to transparent
> proxy or direct it to a backup server?

that would work, just have the snmp machine run like cmu-snmp-utils, and
issue a "no ip policy route-map proxy-redir" or whatever to int
e0..........i like it.

Squid has been VERY reliable for me though (1.1.20), if it hickups, I am
going to do just that asap.

> Another option - have an IP address just for transparent proxy, when the
> primary goes down the secondary configures an alias to its own ethernet
> NIC and announces the change via RIP.
>
> Are these doable?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Amos
>
> --Amos Shapira | "Of course Australia was marked for
> 133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st. | glory, for its people had been chosen
> Jerusalem 93 805 | by the finest judges in England."
> ISRAEL amos@gezernet.co.il | -- Anonymous

| Brian Feeny | USR TC Hubs | ShreveNet Inc. (318)222-2638 |
| Network Administrator | Perl, Linux | Web hosting, online stores, |
| ShreveNet Inc. | USR Pilot | Dial-Up 14.4-56k, ISDN & LANs |
| 89 CRX DX w/MPFI, lots of |-=*:Quake:*=-| http://www.shreve.net/ |
| mods/Homepage coming soon |LordSignal/SN| Quake server: 208.206.76.47 |