Re: (104) Connection reset by peer

From: Apiset Tananchai <aet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:31:31 +0700 (ICT)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Michael Pelletier wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Apiset Tananchai wrote:
> > It's far too complex than I ever though while I was trying to see where
> > should I start first.. :)
>
> I know what you mean. I bent my brain for about three weeks trying to get
> my mind around how Squid was functioning. It takes a while to get the
> hang of it.
>
> > Above error is one major reason why I can not convince my boss to let me
> > implement transparent proxy using Cisco route-map + squid. ;-)
>
> Aren't the users getting the connection-reset errors without using the
> proxy?

Hm...to be honest, I dont' know! :) I rarely disable proxy setting and
away from IE for sometime.

> Isn't Squid saving significant amounts of bandwidth and
> substantially improving the responsiveness of remote sites?

Squid does save us significant amounts of bandwidth (35-45% byte hit,
1.5-2 GB save, according to calamaris report). My boss know this but my
boss hates complaints! ;-)

Currently, we already tell user to set their proxy setting manually but I
think not much user follow. Once they got the problem, they disable the
setting and never enable it. :)

For now, they still be able to disable the proxy if they feel that it was
the proxy that cause the problem. But if we implement a transparent proxy,
user will have no way to disable it and if there is a problem, they will
blame at us instead. :)

Since this is the only error that I got several hundred reports from
in-house user when we experiment with the transparent proxy in our office.
I think that if the problem solved, everyone will happy. I'm sure that we
would save a lot more bandwidth if transparent proxy is implement in our
environment.

Thanks for your help,

--
aet