RE: a broken FTP site

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:48:28 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Hume Smith wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:57:30 -0400
> From: Hume Smith <hume.smith@dess.tallships.istar.ca>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Cc: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: RE: a broken FTP site
>
> > Yes, but AFAIK Squid doesn't break the pathname into components and CWD
> > into each one.
>
> well if it ftpget doesn't try the recommended method at all (which does work in this case), shouldn't it be changed? (i'd do it, but ftpget.c is too big a pasta plate for me to do it quickly :)

Ok, lets say you want to download the latest netscape, you followed the
instruction on the web, clicked the download link to your favourite
mirror, and heres what squid does with your proposal:

connects to ftp.netscape.com
USER anonymous
PASS squid@proxy.myhost.com
CWD pub
CWD communicator
CWD 4.04
CWD shipping
CWD english
CWD windows
CWD windows95_or_nt
CWD navigator_standalone
RETR n32e404.exe

And here's what it does now:

Connect's to ftp.netscape.com
USER anonymous
PASS squid@myhost.cmo
RETR /pub/communicator/4.04/shipping/english/windows/windows95_or_nt/ \
navigator_standalone/n32e404.exe

Now, how much quicker is the second one, considering it takes 3-5 seconds
for the site to respond.

> --
> Hume Smith
> <URL:http://dess.tallships.istar.ca/%7Ehclsmith/>
>
> Support Project Magic <URL:http://www.operasoftware.com/alt_os.html>

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/