Squid on DECUnix (was Stop - Start...)

From: Andrew Cormack <Cormack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:50:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Dancer wrote:

> Once a Digital Unix box hits a certain mark of open filedescriptors (across
> all processes), then it suddenly seems to start thrashing somewhere deep down.
> I've had the number 1800 quoted at me, but it could be lower or higher for
> some configurations.

Am I right in thinking that this makes the VM versions of squid preferable
to NOVM on DigitalUNIX systems ? I seem to recall that NOVM trades less
RAM usage for more open file descriptors ? If so, then I can cross off
"investigate squid.NOVM" from my todo list.

Thanks for any confirmation,
Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack@cardiff.ac.uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |
       | Web page and PGP key: http://www.cf.ac.uk/People/cormack.html   |