RE: Transparent-ly obtained objects in a name-based hierarchy: problems?

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:32:35 -0500

> John Todd wrote:
>
> > How does one get around the discrepancy caused by IP-based versus
> > name-based cache object storage when working in a hierarchy of
> > mixed transparent and proxy-based caches?
>
> Don't use IP-based cache names as it breaks virtual servers and limits
> the cache hit ratio quite a bit (many servers have more than one IP, any
> you may have clients using you as a normal proxy -> a lot of duplicated

I use a transparent proxy with 1.1.20, so my configuration is:

httpd_accel virtual 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

Oddly enough, the IP instead of the host: header is printed in the logs
still. I was using IE4, and I'm sure it supports the host: header, it just
didn't put it in the logs.

Jordan