Re: Transparent-ly obtained objects in a name-based hierarchy: problems?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:38:15 +0100

How many times do I have to repeat this:

1.1.20 needs a small patch to support Host: header based acceleration at
the same time as virtual. I have said this several times lately
(including in the message you responded to... althought not very clear).

The patch is available from

What the patch does is that it changes the processing order of virtual
and host based acceleration, so that the Host: header is used if
available, else the destination IP.

Without the patch the destination IP is always used when httpd_accel
virtual is set, regardless of what httpd_accel_uses_host_header is set

Without the patch you either can't support Host: based virtual servers,
or old clients not sending a Host: header.

With the patch you can support all of them in the same way as it is
without a proxy, and get a higher hit ratio at the same time. This is
especially true if you have a mixed environment where some is using you
as a standard proxy, and some as a transparent proxy.

Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker