Bandwidth limiting

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:39:05 +1000

Hmm. On my wishlist is an old, old item. I was rummaging through my
'outstanding' list of thingies and came across a wishful thinking item.
That is, some way of limiting the quantity of data fetchable from a
parent.

Here's a scenario:
Say you've got two ISDN links. One at 64K and one at 128K. The 64K link
goes directly to the world and costs you _nothing_ in bandwidth, and you
want to use that, by preference. There's no parent there,
though..documents will be fetched from the origin servers.

The 128K link is handling other traffic. People use it to type at shells
and things. And it costs money (say, 20cents per megabyte). You are
willing to use this, but only if the 64K link is full...and you don't
want to draw more than 64K of _this_ link, if you can help it. This link
gives access to a hierarchy, as well. There's a parent up here, that is
inaccessible from the other link.

Can anyone see any _really_ easy way to shoehorn bandwidth throttling,
and link-selection (especially when the primary link does _not_ have a
parent on it ..hmm..perhaps a dummy peer line?) while performing the
absolute minimum amount of effort to make it work?

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.