Re: Bandwidth limiting

From: Chuck Pitre <chuck@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:18:02 -0500 (EST)

Dancer,
   there are a few ways you can go about this. I do know there are
bandwith managing software out there for FreeBSD. I also know that would
can do bandwidth management off of a CISCO router (11.2 .. maybe 11.1 not
sure) you could do a form of load balancing, once you start puching about
70k through the 64k pipe, then start using the 128k pipe... you should be
able to specify that you don't want to use more than 64k on the 128k pipe.
However I'm not sure of that. I'm new to the CISCO world :)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Dancer wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:39:05 +1000
> From: Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au>
> To: Squid Users <squid-users@nlanr.net>
> Subject: Bandwidth limiting
>
> Hmm. On my wishlist is an old, old item. I was rummaging through my
> 'outstanding' list of thingies and came across a wishful thinking item.
> That is, some way of limiting the quantity of data fetchable from a
> parent.
>
> Here's a scenario:
> Say you've got two ISDN links. One at 64K and one at 128K. The 64K link
> goes directly to the world and costs you _nothing_ in bandwidth, and you
> want to use that, by preference. There's no parent there,
> though..documents will be fetched from the origin servers.
>
> The 128K link is handling other traffic. People use it to type at shells
> and things. And it costs money (say, 20cents per megabyte). You are
> willing to use this, but only if the 64K link is full...and you don't
> want to draw more than 64K of _this_ link, if you can help it. This link
> gives access to a hierarchy, as well. There's a parent up here, that is
> inaccessible from the other link.
>
> Can anyone see any _really_ easy way to shoehorn bandwidth throttling,
> and link-selection (especially when the primary link does _not_ have a
> parent on it ..hmm..perhaps a dummy peer line?) while performing the
> absolute minimum amount of effort to make it work?

> --
> Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
> If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
> be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.

Chuck Pitre chuck@vianet.on.ca
ViaNet Internet Solutions Technical Consultant
128 Larch Street ph: 675-0400
P3E 5J8 fax: 675-0404