Re: Telnetting and send mail throung a squid server

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:55:29 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Wim Olivier wrote:

> To: wessels@nlanr.net, squid-dev@nlanr.net, squid-users@nlanr.net,
> oskar@is.co.za

(Reply list trimmed.)

> I configured it and it runs like a bomb, with proxying & caching.

In my local vernacular, "like a bomb" means "not particularly well at
all"; is that the case, or is your "like a bomb" intended to be the
opposite in meaning?

> But e-mail (SMTP, port 25) does not come through. I can also not telnet
> or ping from the inside network to the outside.

From the Squid FAQ:

  "Squid is a high-performance proxy caching server for web clients,
  supporting FTP, gopher, and HTTP data objects."
  [ http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-1.html#ss1.1 ]

Squid has *nothing* to do with SMTP, so if your mail is not being passing
in or out of your network, it's not Squid's fault! :-)

(Likewise, therefore, the TELNET and ICMP "pings" have nothing to do with
Squid either.)

Sounds more like your router may be blocking traffic (if "like a bomb"
means that at least the caching is working).

> (1) Can one telnet or ping through squid at all?

No - Squid (the software) has nothing to do with SMTP, TELNET or ICMP
echo requests ("ping"); the machine on which Squid is running, however,
is a different story.

> (2) Can mail pass through squid?

See answer to (1).

Check your router configuration - this doesn't appear to be too specific
to Squid at all.

Cheers..

dave