Re: Mmmhhh ...

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:32:09 +0800

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Matthew Petach wrote:
>
> > > Squid crashes, saying 'cannot write to file, disk full'.
> > > Indeed, it cannot (I tried writing a a-few-MB-size-file, and it says no
> > > space on disk).
> > > However, df says there's still 20 % free, which is 4 GB.
> >
> > Do a df -i, and see if you have any inodes left...it is
> > possible that a very large number of small files in your
> > cache have used up all available inodes.
> >

> Thanks for the input, but there are plenty of free inodes.

Try using lsof to see if something has a lot of (unlinked) files open.
I know how to check this kind of thing under Linux but not Solaris (under
Linux you check for i_nlink == 0 & i_dtime == 0 & file open). This
shouldn't be the problem - under Linux it doesn't display as free space
until it's really freed by the last program using it - but other Unicies have
done it the other way from time to time.

Also, try running a fsck - if your computer has rebooted while your filesystem
was in a state with many deleted files open, and not fsck'd (hmm, usually
advfs-style filesystems fall victim to this, I don't think Solaris has one
but...) then the disk space allocated to those files may not be freed.

Anyway, this is more a Solaris question than a squid question, and I don't
use Solaris any more than I have to, so that's a couple of suggestions from
other Unicies.

David.