Re: Blacklist project proposal (was Re: Banner ad blocker? Anyone with a good blocklist...)

From: <willy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:00:12 +0500 (CHEL)

Good $daytime,

> From: Dax Kelson <dkelson@inconnect.com>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: Re: Blacklist project proposal (was Re: Banner ad blocker? Anyone with a good blocklist...)

> > religious propaganda

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why would anyone need protecting from religous
> propaganda? Scratch that from the list..

Please look at

        http://www.religioustolerance.org/destruct.htm

That's what I mean. In a few years this became really big problem
in our country.

None the less, it is good question. A common issue on content-based
filtering, not just religious topics. Some points are quite sensitive
to legal issues as well as personal views of other people, e.g.
content providers.

IMHO in no event shall anyone be filtered without being explicitly
notified about such filtering. But user may want his ISP to filter
some topics to protect children. And university may want to filter
students wasting bandwidth with Doom maps.

There should be two unrelated issues:

1. User _may_ want to be filtered from some kind of content or other.
   And he may select filtering categories.

2. ISP _should_ have tools to filter user from some content based on
   user selection.

  Regards,
  Willy.

--
"No easy hope or lies        | Vitaly "Willy the Pooh" Fedrushkov
 Shall bring us to our goal, | Information Technology Division