Re: Blacklist project proposal (was Re: squid-users-digest Digest)

From: <willy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:25:39 +0500 (CHEL)

Good $daytime,

> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 08:50:25 -0500 (EST)
> From: Fraser Campbell <fraser@greynet.net>
> To: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: Re: squid-users-digest Digest V98 #99

> I have been considering exactly this. In our area there is an ISP
> with a service called Cleannet (http://www.cleannet.net). I don't
> know exactly how they implement their service but I thought Squid
> would be up to the job.

There is a lot of good commercial software and services around the
world. Our target would be public domain blacklist and/or software
and/or service.

> It sounds like a very simple thing to implement - the hard part
> would be compiling the list of banned sites.

Okay here in squid-users we all know _how_ to implement this. I'd
like to concentrate on the latter.

> The guide also states that Squid is not optimized to do this for a
> large number of sites. What would be involved in keeping Squid up
> to speed while doing this. What non-Squid solutions would be best
> if it is impractical to do with Squid?

I guess usage of splay or binary trees in squid code to be addressed
to performance issues on large ACLs. Another solution (hardly called
non-squid) is URL-rewriting plugin or recently announced Squirm.

Of course I don't want to say that blacklist can't be used with (say)
Netscape proxy.

  Regards,
  Willy.

--
"No easy hope or lies        | Vitaly "Willy the Pooh" Fedrushkov
 Shall bring us to our goal, | Information Technology Division