Re: Trans Proxying FTP

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:40:21 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Brian wrote:

> Is it possible to transparently proxy ftp, just like web?
>
> Would I just setup up route-maps and rules sets just like for port 80 but
> using ftp ports instead?
>
> Can an alteon switch transproxy ftp as well as web?

Unfortunately, squid accepts http requests, even to ftp sites. So, try
directing your ftp client to your web server at port 80 :-)

If it was worth it, I'd get a ftp proxy going (like squid, but
instead of accepting http requests, it accepts ftp commands), and then
with a bit of hackery on linux transproxy I could get it going, and direct
squid's ftpget (more hackery) to go through it.

The only reason I haven't done that, is because I haven't found a ftp
proxy that caches. (anybody know of one?)

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/