Re: squidfs development?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:01:27 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Daniel Kiracofe writes:
> >> I'm just curious - is there any active work on a squidfs ?
> >> I'd like to catch up on any ideas/code people have written.
> >
> > The biggest problem with ext2 wrt squid is the time it takes to search
> >for a filename within a directory;

> Then you write a compatibility layer in teh kernel to provide a 'virtual
> namespace' .. basically giving a squid-like directory hierarchy, but direct
> inode access if its needed. Not lots of kernel hacking, not lots of squid
> hacking.

There is no SquidFS development going on at NLANR at this moment. If we ever
get time to do it, we may look at a more portable solution. We were thinking
about huge DB-style files with many documents stored within one file rather
than patching kernels and such. DB-style files will eliminate overhead from
open() system calls and make other optimizations possible.

Alex.