Re: transparent cisco configuration

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:07:27 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> I'm probably going to end up writing a util to make a test connection to
> the proxy server periodically (can someone suggest a suitable squid or
> HTTP request for this purpose?), and if it fails to respond due to the
> host not being available or the squid daemon not being up, a policy change
> would be made automatically on the cisco via SNMP or telnet.

I wrote a shell script using the echoping program and put it in cron.

The only problem is, that the system with the shell script on it is more
likely to be down than the squid box :-)

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/