Re: RAID Questions

From: Jason Riedy <ejr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 13:18:45 -0400

Oh well. And Eric Stern writes:
 -
 - Fine, we all know RAID is fast. BUT, has anyone done an apples to apples
 - comparison of a squid w/RAID to a squid without RAID?

BTW, not everyone uses RAID for speed. If you want constant availability
with consistent performance, one of the RAID levels that emphasizes
redundancy is about the only way to go. That may be questionable for
a cache in some situations, but I can see others where it's important.

We don't have a hardware RAID setup, so the only reason for us to use it
is reliability. Our proxy is tiny, so we don't care there, but we're
definitely using it for our web and FTP materials.

Besides, if someone wants _lots_ of speed, beefing up the core memory
could do more than just switching to a RAID setup.

Jason