Re: RAID Questions

From: Eric Stern <estern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 14:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Bill Wichers wrote:

> I too would love to see a truely useful comparison, but one big
> question comes to mind: What about the drive that Squid writes it's own
> logs (cache.log, access.log, etc.) to? Would this drive hold Squid back if
> the cache was on a RAID array? Would Squid just queue all the log writing
> requests until the drive could catch up? Or would it just be best to leave
> some room on the RAID array to hold Squid's logs?

I can see the logs as being a problem. In my WebSpeed units I have a
seperate drive to store logs files (as well as the system, and swap).
The cache drive(s) are used only for cache.

Note that is really only an issue for pretty busy caches.

/ Eric Stern - PacketStorm Technologies - (519) 837-0824 /
/ http://www.packetstorm.on.ca /
/ WebSpeed - a transparent web caching server - available now! /