Re: Squid and Host header

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:40:41 +0100

On Wed 15 Apr, 1998, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se> wrote:
>Jordan Mendelson wrote:
>> Does Squid require a host: line like most web servers for HTTP/1.1?
>
>No, but it will not add one either. It your request misses the Host:
>header and the server requires it then you will get a error on cache
>miss.

(a Host header for HTTP/1.1 is a MUST, but IE4 is one of the few
browsers that sends an HTTP/1.1 proclaiming request anyway)

I thought that Squid finally rolled in code to add a Host header to the
outgoing request if there wasn't already one there: I know I wrote such
code quite some time ago whilst at a previous employer but I thought I
remembered it getting replaced with code from a later Squid version.

It's a useful thing to do - it aids all those who insist upon using old
browser versions, if they point their browsers via caches (which is I'm
sure we agree always a good idea, barring the very few old clients that
can't even do that)

James.
(currently without current Squid source to hand)