Re: Squid and authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:32:27 +0200

Paul Brown wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas how authentication from browsers can be
> handled when using Squid ? At the moment the site I'm tryin gto access
> pops up a netscape authentication dialog when not using any cache in
> netscape but just times out when using a FreeBsd squid 1.2 server. The
> ports that the web site asking for authentication are on are 81 and 82
> if that makes any difference.

Squid is supposed to be transparent when using HTTP authentication. My
guess is that the site in question does strange.

Which site you are trying to contact?

What Squid version? (1.2 is only the major version of the current beta
releases..)

Have you tried if you can reach the server directly from the FreeBSD
server? (using Lynx or another browser available on FreeBSD).

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker