RE: Transparent Proxy

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:23:32 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> Linux does not require such a daemon (and for the life of me I can't figure
> out why people keep bringing it up). All that is required to setup
> transparent proxies under Linux is to compile it into the kernel and use:
>
> ifpwadm -a accept -P tcp -S 0/0 -D 0/0 80 -r 3128
>
> to redirect the requests. You will also need to setup squid to do it (read
> the FAQ). I would recommend getting Squid 1.NOVM 21 and using the -V
> parameter with it as well, so you can get resolved hostnames in your logs.

I use the transproxy program, mainly because my squid box is not a router.
The best part is, that it doesn't require the Host: header.

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/