Help ... real dumb user ..

From: Mehul Sanghvi <mehul@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:43:59 -0400 (EDT)

'allo folks,

    I have built and installed squid-1.1.21 on a SCO OpenServer 5 system. I
have it running currently also. THe only thing is I am unable to use it. I
am just doing a simple test using the squid/bin/client as given in the FAQ and
that fails. I get an error message that says:

   Access Denied
   Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request:
       http://www.netscape.com/
   from this cache. Please check with the cache administrator

The squid/etc/squid.conf is the simple squid.conf example given in the User
Guide at the web site. I have made two changes to the file from the original:
    1. changed nobody to nouser
    2. debug_options is ALL,9 rather then ALL,1

--- squid.conf ---
#squid.conf - a very basic config file for squid

#Turn logging to it's lowest level
debug_options ALL,9

#defines a group (or Access Control List) that includes all IP
#addresses
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

#allow all sites to use connect to us via HTTP
http_access allow all

#allow all sites to use us as a sibling
icp_access allow all

#test the following sites to check that we are connected
dns_testnames internic.net usc.edu cs.colorado.edu mit.edu yale.edu

#run as the squid user
#cache_effective_user squid squid
#otherwise, you can uncomment the below line and comment the one out.
# this will run as use "nobody" with the group "nogrtoup"
cache_effective_user nouser nogroup

--- end squid.conf ---

The squid/logs/access.log file has the following in it:

897672199.000 0 127.0.0.1 TCP_DENIED/400 443 GET http://www.netscape.com/
- NONE/- -

/usr/local/squid and everything underneath is owned by nouser:nogroup. What
are teh permissions on teh /usr/local/squid that I should have ? I am
starting RunCache as user root. Everything to do with squid is installed
under /usr/local/squid

I hope this is nto something that is an annoyance to someone, but I am
running out of time and ideas. I do not want the folks using a propriety
piece of software when somehting good like Squid is available.

Hopefully someone can help me out with this really quickly and it probably is
something very obvious that I have overlooked.

Thanks,

   mehul

--
Mehul Sanghvi