Re: Proxy-Remote

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 16:24:46 +0200

CyberPsychotic wrote:

> anyway, here i tried to configure squid so it would use some remote
> machine, which has its squid installed, just like i did with apache's
> directive Remote-Proxy. (it fetches all the sites from that machine).
> (i just did cache_host that machine, is it correct?) however it still
> gets requested URLs directly. Do I have anything wrong done here?

Search for firewall in squid.conf ;-)

inside_firewall (squid 1.1.X)
never_direct (squid 1.2beta)
tells squid that if has to go throught a parent for all requests not
matching this.

And of course you have to configure a parent cache for this to work,
using the cache_peer directive.

> and there was another problem:
> a friend of mine has squid installed behind the firewall, on his
> machine which uses internal DNS, all he need to do is nearly the
> can not perform DNS checks correctly (after 5 tries) and then gives up

When Squid starts if tries to resolve a couple of well known DNS names
to check if DNS is working properly. If you use a internal DNS that
can't lookup external names then you have to either reconfigure Squid to
use well known internal names (dns_testnames in squid.conf) or disable
the DNS test alltogether by starting squid with the -D option.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker