Re: Is Expires fix on hem.passagen.se in 1.1.22?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:40:34 +1000

I already have code for 1.1.(20-ish) that prevents implicit or explicit
refreshing of objects that match certain refresh_pattern rules (magic
'max' age of 1).

<waffle>
Pro:
It works.
It's handy.
It was necessary to a couple of my clients.

Con:
The rules don't always cover everything you want.
It _is_ a violation of the rules.
It makes squid behave in ways that some users do not expect (ie:
Anything matching one of the magic rules will never be checked or
refreshed _EVER_, for so long as it is in the cache, and there's NO way
to renew the object without deleting it from the cache)

<soapbox>
I don't like non-compliant things, personally, BUT:

1) If a client pays me to break the rules, and cannot be dissuaded
therefrom, then I breaks 'em.
2) I subscribe to unofficial RFC -1: "Know when to break the rules. Do
it carefully. Do it cleanly. Do it knowing what you are letting yourself
in for."

Standards are good. They give us foundations upon which many items of
interoperable software can be written without (for example) the
heartache of MSIE. That being said, every circumstance is different.
Nothing remains static. Needs and circumstances evolve.
</soapbox>
</waffle>