Re: Solaris 2.6 MU1 (aka 3/98) problems

From: Dax Kelson <dkelson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:31:46 -0600 (MDT)

We discovered 3 deadlock situtations in the Solaris 2.5.x/2.6 kernel
(which results in unkillable processes). They only occur on a busy box.
2 of the 3 are fixed in the latest kernel patch, the 3rd is fixed in a
"binary fix kernel" we are running, and the fix should make it into the
next official kernel patch.

The first was very nasty and caused our webserver to "hang" and be
unkillable up to 3-4 times per day (requiring a reboot).

The second caused the same thing, only was triggered every few days.

The third caused the same thing, only triggered every few weeks.

Since the last binary fix was installed, we have an uptime of 5 months.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.