Re: Transparent proxy + siblings?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 08:23:15 +0200

Umar Goldeli wrote:
> I've just had a look at the FAQ on transparent proxying with Linux...
>
> It says that due to the nature of transparent proxying -> "sibling
> relationships don't work correctly" - no HITs occur as the URLs are
> different etc etc... so there apparantly isn't any point to having a
> sibling to help reduce "external" traffic...

The FAQ is a bit outdated... This is only true for a brain-damaged
transparent proxy not supporting Host: headers, or when you use old
clients not sending Host: headers.

> Is this still true if the siblings are using transparent proxying also?

Does not matter.

> Is there a way around this?

Yes.

--- 1.1.22 and later ---

httpd_accel virtual 80
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

--- 1.1.21 and earlier ---
httpd_accel www.yoursite.com 80
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
(Drawback: Does not support old clients)
or
apply a small patch available from http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/
somewhere in "old patches" and use 1.1.22 settings above.
or
use transproxyd in front of Squid.
(Drawback: more processes)

> Or alternatively, have I completely missed the point? :)

No.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker