Re: FATAL error and new feature

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 01:19:32 +0200

Tony Starrow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using version 1.2 beta 23. It works fine until one day it continues
> to give me this error:
> FATAL: file_map_allocate: Exceeded filemap limit
> what problem is this and how to solve it?

Use a lower store_avg_obj_size setting. Your have a small cache on a
busy squid, or the cache contains many very small objects.

> I's currently looking for a proxy server which can process the
> data before sending it to the end user(e.g. get a request of
> English page, translate it to French before sending it to the
> requester). Seems Squid doesn't have this feature. anyone know
> if this kind of proxy server exists? If no, I'd like to add it
> myself to squid and which part should I look for?

I do not know of any such proxy, but it may exists.

Squid is not designed in such a way that it is easy to change
the data of the object. Currently only headers can be easily
changed while the object passes throught squid.

Any of the "old style" proxies available may suit you better
for adding this kind of functionality.
  CERN
  Apache proxy module
  TIS Toolkit http-gw
  a few other which I do not remember the name of

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker