Re: Squid as "accelerator" for multiple origin servers?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:20:20 +0200

Chris Shenton wrote:

> I am trying to use squid-1.1.22 as simple proxy to accept requests
> for servers which have moved and have it fetch and return the data
> from the new locations. Old servers ran HTTP and HTTPS and I need to
> handle both. I cannot use basic HTTP redirect because this
> web-application is called by non-browsers which may not honor the
> redirect. :-( I don't really need caching, so perhaps I'm not using
> the best tool here.

If the server simply has moved to a new host, and you need to have the
server virtually available on the old host during a transition period
then the easiest way to accomplish this is to use a TCP plug daemon.

> I set it up as an "accelerator" with squid.conf:
>
> http_port 8008
> httpd_accel www.movedsite.com 80
> cache_effective_user squid squid

This is fine, unless you also need to support a couple of virtual
servers..

> but this only handles the port 80 traffic. (I'm using 8008 for squid
> rather than 80 until the data is really moved). I also need to
> accommodate port 443 HTTPS traffic. The FAQ hints I can do this:

Squid can't do this. For this you need a TCP plug daemon. HTTPS is SSL
encrypted and Squid has no way of decoding the messages... (it shouldn't
as it is a proxy..)

> How can I configure squid as a non-caching proxy for port 80 and port
> 443 traffic to two external HTTP and HTTPS servers?

Since you are not interested in caching here, I'd recommend using a TCP
plug daemon instead of Squid. It is simple, virtually no configuration,
supports most protocols using a single TCP port.

See squid-users archives for TCP plug daemon pointers.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker