Squid as "accelerator" for multiple origin servers?

From: Chris Shenton <cshenton@dont-contact.us>
Date: 27 Aug 1998 11:52:17 -0400

[Newbie alert -- but I did read the the Users Guide, FAQ, and Release Notes.]

I am trying to use squid-1.1.22 as simple proxy to accept requests
for servers which have moved and have it fetch and return the data
from the new locations. Old servers ran HTTP and HTTPS and I need to
handle both. I cannot use basic HTTP redirect because this
web-application is called by non-browsers which may not honor the
redirect. :-( I don't really need caching, so perhaps I'm not using
the best tool here.

I set it up as an "accelerator" with squid.conf:

    http_port 8008
    httpd_accel www.movedsite.com 80
    cache_effective_user squid squid

but this only handles the port 80 traffic. (I'm using 8008 for squid
rather than 80 until the data is really moved). I also need to
accommodate port 443 HTTPS traffic. The FAQ hints I can do this:

    The Squid redirector can make one accelerator act as a single
    front-end for multiple servers. If you need to move parts of your
    filesystem from one server to another, or if separately administered
    HTTP servers should logically appear under a single URL hierarchy, the
    accelerator makes the right thing happen.

but it doesn't explain how. Would I have to run two squids, on
listening on 80 and the other on 443? So my question is:

How can I configure squid as a non-caching proxy for port 80 and port
443 traffic to two external HTTP and HTTPS servers?

Thanks.