Re: How do I know if my hard disk is swapping

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 20:33:38 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Raul S. Bucad wrote:

> How can I determine when my hard disk begins to swap.
> What are the steps to prevent my system from swapping.

It is a process (a program) that can be swapped out to the disk. The disk
does nothing but accepting data from the OS when the latter decides to swap
something out. I would recommend you to get a good book on Unix
administration where all these concepts are described in detail, with
examples on how to monitor them.

As far as Squid goes, cache manager reports the number of pages swapped with
physical I/Os. However, that report must be taken with care as its
interpretation is OS dependent.

Alex.