Re: Forbiden digest?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 20:52:21 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Markus Storm wrote:

> what did I do wrong when I get
> 1998/09/06 21:04:55| disabling corrupted (Forbidden) digest from <parent-host>
> on startup?

> Using the parent for ICP & HTTP is allowed.

Either your proxy does not want to request digests from the parent
(essentially it denies access to itself) OR your parent does not want to
serve a digest to you. You imply that the first alternative should not
happen, but I would double check just in case. Also check if your parent
supports digests. If it does not, the request will be treated as a MISS on
your parent. Some older versions of Squid may return "Forbidden" reply in
case of a miss for an internal object, I think.

If looking at local and parent's squid.conf's does not help, enable the
debugging for Cache Digests (see Cache Digest FAQ entry) and you might be
able to spot the problem. Also take a look at parent's logs if you can.

A good test is to request a digest using ./client program and see what
happens.

In general, access controls for digests are the same as access controls for
any internal object. The latter is almost the same as access controls for
ordinary HTTP objects.

Alex.