Re: Problem with directly connected sites

From: Chris Foote <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:24:45 +0930 (CST)

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Stefan Radovanovici wrote:

> I have some problem accessing directly connected sites. I have a linux box
> running squid 1.2.beta23 with all patches and with one parent (which is on
> the other side of our sat link). Our network is directly conected with other
> ISP networks in the country by cable. But when a client tries to connect to,
> say, site A (which is directly connetcted), squid just ignores that and
> sends the request for site A to our parent (through the sat link).
> If I add an ACL for the ip space of site A and declare it direct with
> always_direct then everything is fine, squid retrieves the page directly.
> But that is not a solution because we have hundreds of C class networks
> directly connected. I can't just add them all to allways_direct.
> It seems that squid ignores the routing table on the linux box completely.
> Am I doing something wrong ? Is there a squid.conf option that I am missing
> ?

Hi Stef.

This seems to be a common problem for people who parent off another cache.
What we do is to bypass the parent for objects within the country (most
of the time the objects are cheaper to source anyway), and we do it
using the syntax:

acl australia dstdom_regex \.au$
always_direct allow australia
never_direct deny australia
never_direct allow all

The alternative, which would be useless for busy caches, is to
use acl's for destination hosts, but this requires each and
every hostname in a URL to be looked up - i.e. very slow

Hope this helps,

Chris Foote SE Net
Technical Manager 222 Grote Street
SE Network Access Adelaide SA 5000
e-mail chris@senet.com.au Australia
phone : (08) 8221 5221 PGP Public Key available from
fax: (08) 8221 5220 http://www.senet.com.au/PGP
support: (08) 8221 5792